21 March 2011

"Is That the Autistic Kid?"

Our eldest Aspie son has recently been working out with a local Jr. Wrestling team. He has an AWESOME coach. Everything is positive! Well, he attended and wrestled in his first tournament this weekend. We had NO IDEA what to expect.....but, he ended up placing 3rd for his division!!! WOOWHOOO!!! What was even more amazing is that his team mates and their parents were cheering him on. I can't remember when my husband and I were not the only people cheering on our kids!!! How COOL!!!

When he won the match that won the Bronze Medal, a coach from a local high school turned around and asked, "Is that the autistic kid? Don't you all have an Autistic kid on your team? Is that him? Well, that's great!"
The momma-bear in me had to stop and think. "No, he was not putting down your son....he was trying to be supportive." But why couldn't he have just said, "Good match. Congratulations."

I don't like our kids being known for their "dis-abilities"...I want them to be known for their "different-abilities."

What do you think? Was I being too sensitive?

No comments:

Post a Comment