18 March 2011

A Man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do

So our middle son has been having a rough time at school recently. But I LOVE the attitude his teachers have. Even though he has had trouble lately, they can still find joy in his personality. This morning, I got an e-mail from one of his teachers. It read:

"Upon returning from the morning bathroom break he said, 'I am sorry I was detained. I realized that my underwear was on backwards and I felt that I had better turn them around.' Of course, no discretion was used in this announcement." Gotta smile. I guess...A Man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do.

It makes me want to ask, "What, you didn't feel it?" Or better yet, "You went to the bathroom before we left the house....you didn't notice it then?"
I know the answer...a flippant "no." He would not see the big deal. I asked him after school if he realized that he had said it in front of the class...he told me "No, I was talking to the teacher." Once again...literal.

Another literal thing that he did this week happened when we were working on homework. He had been working for a long time and I knew that if I didn't write his answers in for him...it would not get done. The last question stated, "Drawing Conclusions: What do you think......." He told me his answer and I began to write it down exactly as he stated it. I hear, "Mom....you are doing it wrong!" I start to wonder what he is talking about and then he says, "We are supposed to DRAW the conclusion!"
A Man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do.

One other thing that we noticed this week....our youngest (non-Aspie) child is starting to "catch up" with our middle son in some domains. At first, this really upset me. He is 6 years younger! How can this be! But then I started thinking....maybe he will eventually start to take care of his brother. Maybe he will understand our middle son, his brother, in a way others can't. He can help carry his brother's spirit.
A Man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do...AND...A Brother's Gotta Do What a Brother's Gotta Do.

He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment