22 April 2011

Drawing

I have mentioned how different my two Aspie sons are. Another way they differ is in their ability to draw. Both of them are intense when drawing, I think because they are trying so hard to "DO IT RIGHT." My middle son has had tactile/sensory issues in the past. He likes to practice drawing on my back...but he can not feel how hard he is pressing. Because of this intensity, they have trouble keeping their muscles relaxed so that they can create line and form without distortion. (Yet another example of an over-active attention causing a reverse reaction.) 
But my older Aspie son has a vision in his head of what he wants to draw, of how he wants it to look. My middle son draws what he KNOWS. For instance, the wheels on a car would be depicted by many, many, MANY circles....as a wheel turns. A football field would be positioned from the perspective of looking down on the field....with lines running the length of the field tracing the paths of the players. A roller-coaster has interlacing tracks, to the point that they can not be followed, to represent the layout of the ride......
These drawings are often misunderstood. At first glance, one could see only "scribble-scratch" and dismiss the drawing as a mess. But, if you ask him what it is, he has a STORY about his drawing. He is not drawing one frame of a story...but the ENTIRE story.  Maybe he is just ahead of the times. Maybe if he could draw in 3-dimensions, it would be a completely new form of art.
ALWAYS THE POSITIVE..........

2 comments:

  1. Oooh! get him a canvas and some paint, and have BEN name it. Hang it proudly in the house, so he can feel proud of it.....and I want one, too. I have tons of paint if you want my "tacklebox" to borrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually have a frame up in his room that says BENJAMIN'S BEAUTIES so that I can add his newest creations to the frame.

    ReplyDelete