19 October 2010

Languages

How many of you can speak a second or third language? My second son picks up on languages so well. I think part of that is because he has an AMAZING ear....(i.e. perfect pitch and perfect pitch memory). Personally, I have trouble with learning new languages. I get stuck in the syntax. Funny that kids who take things sooooo literally can pick up on things like foreign languages soooo well. I have heard of other Aspie kids who seem to be gifted in this area. I had an uncle who did not speak for the first 4 years of his life, yet majored in linguistics. He could speak 98 languages once it was all said and done....
Again....maybe we could learn from this so called "disability."

1 comment:

  1. I like that you put "disability" in quotes. I think we will ultimately see this as different ability and a different way of processing information and less disabling much how landmark dyslexia research has shown it to be less of a disability and more of an alternate way of processing information.

    Funny literal story. My middle daughter is very literal (and interestingly enough picks up languages quickly as well but does not have good pitch)and I have to watch the sayings I use because they often don't make sense to her. She really hates the song "Pour Some Sugar on Me" by Def Leppard (remember them? LOL). She asked why someone would want sugar poured on them as it would be sticky and uncomfortable. I responded by saying it wasn't literal but meaning "to love" someone. She said,"Well, why didn't they just say 'Pour Some Lovin' on Me'"....cracks me up.

    ReplyDelete