17 October 2010

What is the Cause?

Sooooo.....through the years, many different hypothesis have surfaced as to what "causes" Asperger's Syndrome. (i.e. Shots, Lactose, Oxygen Deprivation, etc.) What is you thought?

Personally, I think that the "cause" is related to the cancer scenario. These kids are born genetically "Aspie Dormant" and something happens to trigger that particular syndrome into action. I remember the night that Aaron "changed." My husband and I put him to bed at the normal time and then sat down to watch a movie. After the movie was over, we went to check on him. He was sitting bolt straight upright in his crib with eyes like saucers. He LITERALLY was climbing the walls that night. My husband and I commented, jokingly, that aliens had abducted our child and left us a copy.....

What do you think on the great debate of causes?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Colette!
    I saw your link on FB and am so happy to see you making the plunge into the blogging world. Blogging is such a gift that you and your family will treasure in years to come. I have no doubt that you will inspire and encourage other families who are on a similar journey.

    Your boys are so grown up and beautiful!
    Blessings, Maria Tartamella Lewis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Maria!!! Great to hear from you!! Keep coming back to see just how much of a blessing these boys are!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if it is dormant until certain synapse connections begin forming at certain ages. Obviously, there seems to be an age correlation so I wonder if that neural section can't be seen as "misfiring" until it begins to try to form synapse connections. There is definitely a huge correlation of autistic spectrum disorders and IQ most especially in the upper spectrum of IQ. I will be interested to read some of the work being conducted now on why those are seen together so often. Seems as though whatever causes one is linked to the other and vice versa. Some of the new brain scan data will be interesting as it starts coming out. I don't think we will see causation but I think there will definitely be links with Dabrowski's Theory of Positive Disintegration.

    ReplyDelete