22 November 2010

Apathy? Really? Part II

I have been thinking all weekend about my recent post "Apathy? Really?". The more I think about it the more I am convinced that those of us not on the spectrum are the one's unable to understand and are, therefore, apathetic to the mental workings, emotions and empathy of Aspie kids. It is a difference in expression. They emotions, and consequently their empathy, is expressed in different ways. I sometimes think that Aspie kids feel MORE than most "normal" kids....they are just limited in the avenues for expression. My Aspie sons feel deeply...and they get very anxious when those emotions are misunderstood....as any person would when their "voice" is not being heard. Once again, not a disability....a difference.

2 comments:

  1. You are so right. I think they do feel deeply, and it makes sense that they are so anxious because they feel misunderstood. You have such a great attitude. Your sons are so fortunate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I am the one that is fortunate.

    ReplyDelete