20 November 2010

Apathy? Really?

I have heard many people say that Aspie kids are apathetic to the plight of other people. To this, I say a resounding "not". My Aspie boys have always been VERY empathetic to suffering around the world. My oldest Aspie son, at age 3, "designed" a machine that would clean the air and save the environment. It did pose a striking resemblance to something you would see in a Dr. Seuss book, but there was thought behind it.....air pollution, water pollution, litter, light pollution. Now that I think about it....all of the things that really irked him. This year, my middle son has become VERY EXCITED about OPERATION CHRISTMAS CHILD, a project under the auspices of SAMARITAN'S PURSE. It is a WONDERFUL program that sends shoe boxes of supplies, toys, candy, toiletries, and religious material to less fortunate children all over the world. If you have a chance to participate in this program, it is very rewarding. (Link provided to the right.) My son has memorized the informative DVD, packed 4 shoe boxes, and was vehement about loading them on the truck himself. He REALLY CARES what happens to these children. Now, as a side remark, he takes HORRIBLE pictures. He CAN NOT smile naturally for the camera and usually looks like half of his face is ready to slide off of his skull. But today, when he was in tune to the plight of these children and was empowered to do something about it....he took one of the most natural pictures he has ever taken. I will try to load it so that you may all see a NON-APATHETIC ASPIE CHILD. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment