22 March 2011

Advocacy...Help

Advocacy. It is one of the HARDEST things I have to do as a parent of Aspie kids. It is not that I don't want to give them every help I possibly can....it is just that I HATE confrontation. My mother has a rather strong personality. She, in many ways, is my hero. Being a woman in the man's world of higher education from the 1950's until 2000, she had to find her voice of advocacy for herself and her students. But, she can be fierce in the face of dishonesty or inequality. I, on the other hand, have trouble finding the middle ground between getting my point across and sounding like an angry spoiled child. Nerves always get the best of me......I think it may be an insecurity issue.

Well, tomorrow I will be the advocate for our middle son at a conference pertaining to testing with the local Special Education Supervisor. I know that she does not think our son is currently in a place where he is eligible for services, his grades are too high. Going into this conference I am filled with anxiety. Until recently, I did not know of the services that could help him. I did not know that even though our sons go to a private school, they should be eligible for any special services given to the public school children. We have been doing all of this ourselves, with little assistance.....except a great school committed to loving our children! It was also explained to me that even though he may not qualify for the services, documentation is critical for reference later in his educational career.

As his mother, I am his first and best advocate. Pray that I can do as good of a job as he deserves....because he deserves the BEST!

2 comments:

  1. GO GET 'EM! I'm not one to speak up or out either (maybe i'll learn one day). But I have been in this situation w/school board and it's not fun, it's an on-going fight! We do what we have to do for our children, our hearts! =) Good luck. <3

    ReplyDelete