29 April 2011

Innocence - Easter Tradition #3 - Galva-Monday

So about 5 years ago, my husband and I wanted to take a short trip the day after Easter to just "get away." He had never spent much time in Galveston, TX and had always wanted to go. So we went for the day and really enjoyed ourselves. The next Easter, we were awakened by our middle son on Easter morning saying,
    "It's Easter! Yeah! That means tomorrow is Galva-Monday!"
 ......and another tradition was born. He had completely forgotten about any treats left by the Easter Bunny or any of the other broo-ha-ha.....he just knew that the next day would be spent in Galveston......and so it was. Once again, we had a wonderful time and we have returned every year since. Some trips are shorter and some trips are longer, but the itinerary always will hold riding the ferry to the island, looking for dolphins in the bay, going up to the observation deck on the ferry, swimming at the beach, building a sand castle together, mini-golf and having 1 REALLY NICE meal. We have added and subtracted events from year to year but these always remain. Last year, it just so happened that Galva-Monday was on our middle sons birthday so we added a lot of extra stuff to celebrate. He really enjoyed himself ! When it was getting close to the time when we were to leave, I began to prime him for the transition. He immediately started to rock from foot to foot and pull at his fingernails. I knew he was upset so I gently put my hands on his shoulders, made him look me in the eye and asked him what was wrong. He look at me (WOW) and out of his mouth flowed the following:
 "In my legs I feel the fear, my stomach's turning like a gear
 My face is focusing far and near, and water's swirling in my ear!"
(DOUBLE WOW) I told him thank you, that I completely understood how he felt and that it would be alright. It was in that moment that I realized he felt more comfortable speaking about his feeling in spontaneous prose than in basic conversation!

They are greatly blessed and, by them, we are greatly blessed.

This year's Galva-Monday did not have any WOW moments but we did create WONDERFUL memories.
I will be posting pictures soon.

1 comment:

  1. I forgot to mention that we always eat Ice Cream at LaKing's and play chess across the street from that most sweet spot.

    ReplyDelete