11 December 2011

How Does an Aspie Mind Work?

(First of all...sorry that I have not written in a while. It is a very busy season and I have had to spend most of my blogging time updating a daily Advent blog.)

I have often been amazed, and sometimes aghast, at my middle Aspie son's art work. To the "untrained eye," it would look like a bunch of circular lines interspersed with a bunch of angular shapes that make no sense together. But, to the Aspie mind, this piece of art not only encompasses what he is trying to say...it also holds an ENTIRE STORY that must accompany the artwork. He used to focus on slides...then he moved on to roads...and then roller coasters. His art teacher at school discovered that the perspective he prefers to use is one of an aerial view. You are literally looking down on the slid...the road...the track... How does he come up with this stuff???

Well, recently my boys and I went to the grounds of a local museum to take their Christmas Card picture. (The picture is to the right.) On the grounds of this museum is a sculpture garden. As we were exiting the garden, my husband pointed to a particular sculpture  and said..."That's how an Aspie mind works." AND IT WAS SOOOO TRUE!!! The piece is actually entitled "Jungle Jim" by Lynda Benglis. I have posted a picture of this to the right, as well. Look at it for a while and tell me what you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment