27 February 2011

The "Other" Son and Birthday Presents

As this blog is primarily about parenting Aspie children, I don't normally talk about our youngest son. But, I thought some of you may find the following interesting.

Our youngest son is 3 years old and will turn 4 in May. He is rather precocious but does not show any signs of Asperger's Syndrome. We work hard to make sure that he does not "learn" behavior from the other boys...though I sometimes think we are loosing that battle. We have had a lot of fun with our little guy. We can do things with him and experience things with him on a completely different level. Like...the day I realized he was spontaneously laughing at something on the TV (the other boys would just sit and stare). Or when I tell him to complete a multi-task assignment (go into the living room, look on the couch, find your socks and put them on) and he ACTUALLY DOES IT! TOO COOL!!! Or when his FRIENDS at daycare are happy to see him and he goes over and starts playing WITH them. Or the fact that HE will look me in the eye and tell me that he loves me!

Anyway, we lost a child between our second son and our third son. This past Thursday was the 5 year anniversary of that sad day. We were never told if that child was a boy or a girl, but we figure that was our girl and that she is up in Heaven with her two grandfathers, who both died before we had any children. She was for them. Well, we have never told our youngest boy about that baby. We don't think he is old enough to understand, yet. But Friday morning, he went over to one of our book cases and picked up a little statue. The statues on this book case are by Willow Creek and we have one for each member of our family, including a non-descript one for the baby we lost. He walked over to where I was cooking breakfast and told me..."This is my sister." I asked him where he had seen her and he told me..."In Heaven."

Friday was also my birthday and what a BEAUTIFUL birthday present he gave me in his simple belief and trust in God's Will.

No comments:

Post a Comment