23 February 2011

I Wonder

I often wonder what my Aspie sons will grow up to be. They are both incredibly intelligent....although they don't always exhibit their intelligence. Maybe, somewhere deep inside, Aspie kids sabotage themselves in so far as exhibiting their intelligence. Maybe they use it as a way to divert attention....and then become comfortable with that disguise. Maybe the lack of organization is actually a lack of wanting people to know just how intelligent they are. Of course, I don't really believe that. I have worked too diligently to TRY and CONTINUE TO TRY to organize my sons to believe that. I think it is rather ironic that someone who is ULTRA ORGANIZED has sons who just can't see the importance of organization.

My oldest son recently took a test in English. The teacher came to me to let me know that he did not take any notes on the subject to be tested...even though they could use their notes on the test. WHAT?!? I would have taken notes, typed them, colored coded them and put then in order according to the phases of the Moon. Yet, my son chose not to take any notes. What did he make on the test? 89%

We gave up a long time ago in grades depicting our sons' intelligence levels. How can something that spans a spectrum be seen without a prism? But, will their intelligence and their emotions, their latent ability and their drive, their interpersonal and personal ever match or catch up with each other?

 My oldest son wants to be a Marine Biologist. He read about Jacques Cousteau when he was 4 and has been mesmerized ever since. He goes though stages when he says he will also be a video game designer or a restaurant owner...but the Marine Biology or Oceanography is always there.
I wonder........
maybe it will be easier for him to talk to dolphins than it isfor him to talk to people.
I hope, for his sake, that it is.

2 comments: