25 September 2014

Synapses

There was a recent study released that spoke about the multiple synapses in the brains of children on the Autism Spectrum. It seems that most children, as they grow, will shluff off unused synapses that form as the brain forms. There is a particular protein that ensures that these unused synapses fall away. But, the brains of children on the spectrum do not contain the protein that enables these unused synapses to disintegrate.

As soon as I heard this, I thought back to a 2007 study from UCLA that connected children on the Autism spectrum to chromosome 17. The study stated that it caused a problem with protein absorption in the cell...but that they could not determine if the chromosome abnormality was allowing too much protein into the cells or not enough.

The two studies above, and their apparent link, seem very interesting to me.

They remind me of a time when our middle Aspie son would, while trying to complete homework, hit his head over and over saying, "I know that the right answer is in there...it just takes the wrong path." Well son, you were right. I guess it just took the wrong synapses.

My husband and I have always said that if anyone really, fully understands Autism or Asperger's...it would be someone already on the spectrum themselves. We were right.

No comments:

Post a Comment