02 January 2012

A New Year & Medication

First of all, I would like to wish all of you and your families a Very Happy New Year.

This time of year, many people make resolutions. Yet, a long time ago, I stopped making resolutions....I thought that they were silly and not needed. Well, this year I am making a resolution...to try to not stress so much. You see, I usually stress about my Aspie boys, my youngest, school, work, the house, finances etc. Like the more I worry, the better everything will turn out....or like I have some amazing power to change situations just by thinking about them...
But my worrying DOES NO GOOD!
As a matter of fact, it takes time away from those over whom I am stressing....how does that make sense???
Those of you who have read my blog before know that my family and I are spiritual. Well, while singing for the Christmas Eve service, I realized that letting go...is LETTING GOD. I know many of you are saying, "She's just figuring this out now?" But, for me....this was very profound. There is a difference in "knowing it with your brain" and "knowing it with your entire being."  So, I will spend this year trying to get out of God's way and take care of that charge which He has given me.

To that end, one of my charges...my middle son...seems to have had a breakthrough this holiday.
Before the holidays, his pediatrician had lowered his meds dosage. I noticed that he was more attentive and his teachers said he was able to accomplish more work. Now, he was a little bit "bouncy," so to speak. I found this very interesting. So, be it a conscious choice or not....we have not been very consistent with his meds over the holidays. NOTE: THIS IS NOT  A MEDICAL TREATISE AND I AM NOT OFFERING THIS AS ADVICE. Maybe we were just being lazy. But an interesting by-product was that he was EXTREMELY laid back....no meltdowns EXCEPT when he was coming off the meds....GREAT attention.....lots of accomplishments....(he would do everything I asked THE FIRST TIME)...and much better eye contact. 
Hmmmmm...
Tomorrow we return to school and NO, I am not going to send him without meds.....
I am not delusional enough to think that my unmedicated son in a room with 25 other kids is a good idea. I would never do that to a teacher. But, it makes me think just how much more progress he could make, individually, without the meds....

No comments:

Post a Comment