16 January 2012

All In Good Fun

Through the years, I have witnessed my Aspie sons endure a lot of teasing and ridicule. This was especially difficult as I am a faculty member at the school they attend(ed). I always felt caught between being a mom and being a teacher...just where does that line divide?
Through the years, I worked very hard to keep my professionalism in tact. If I was not on duty and someone was teasing one of my sons, I went through the same channels any other parent would have to go through to see that my son was treated well.
As my classroom faces the playground, this was at times very difficult.
(For instance, when my eldest Aspie son's basketball team decided to use HIM for a backboard...)

Now, I find myself in uncharted waters. Recently, a parent volunteer for my eldest son's wrestling team was telling me how the BOYS had been "playing" with him.
I immediately felt the hair on the back of my neck stand on end and my stomach do flip-flops....
She explained the "teasing" and I quickly realized that this was a totally DIFFERENT type of teasing...
THIS was INCLUSIVE TEASING!!!! WOW!!!
Who would have thought those words would ever go together?
This teasing meant not that HE was the BUTT of every joke...but that he was INCLUDED in every joke....in the practical jokes of upperclassmen on freshmen....the pillow attacks on overnight trips....the pulling of a shirt over one's head during a practice match. The mom also told me that the guys were quick to move on to the next INCLUDED team mate and that they were very careful to give my son the space and respect needed to acquaint himself with this new form of inclusion.
How cool is that?!

No comments:

Post a Comment