21 September 2011

You'll Never Walk Alone

When I was younger, I LOVED Broadway musicals.....
o.k....I still do.
My favorite musical was the emotional "rollor coaster" of CAROUSEL. If you have never seen it and you want a good cry....
I give it my highest hanky rating.

There is a song from that show that has seemed to follow me my entire life. It was the theme song of a youth organization to which I belonged. When I was in college, it was the final song that the band played after every game's post game concert (they still play it). And when I am really tired and frustrated...it runs unabated through my mental amphitheatre....urging me forward....never giving up. So I was not surprised when it showed up in the movie TEMPLE GRANDIN.

In the scene, we witness a mother's bitter-sweet amazement as her Autistic daughter (who had been misunderstood by many through the years) is giving the keynote address at her college graduation. The crowd applauds rather than ridicules as she boldly embraces her autism...
  "When I was younger, I closed myself off from people...
    but now...I am able to know the kindness and love that
    has allowed me to reach this point in my life.
    Today, more than ever, I realize that I have not walked alone.
    And I thank not only my teachers, but my friends and family,
    as well. As in the words of the song from Carousel..."
She then bravely sings the song with great determination.
The words are:
   "When you walk through a storm, hold your head up high
     and don't be afraid of the dark.
     At the end of the storm is a golden sky
     and the sweet silver song of a lark.
     Walk on through the wind,
     Walk on through the rain
     Though your dreams be tossed and blown
     Walk on, walk on with hope in your heart
     And you'll never walk alone
     You'll never walk alone!"
I wish I could always have the same determination.

But with Aspie kids...how things are either black or white...I guess one makes a choice of walking on or standing still....no matter how dark the night may look.....having the clear cut absolute faith that a golden sky will meet us at the end of our trials. When we enter into that FAITH, we know that we are not alone....we have NEVER been alone....and we WILL never be alone....we just couldn't see it through the storm of fear, the wind of misunderstanding and the rain of doubt. 

In the musical CAROUSEL, to which the link listed will allude, a girl and her mother have gone through some truly hard times. She feels cheated, misunderstood, ridiculed....sound familiar? In an effort to keep herself protected, she has kept out the world that was waiting to embrace her....as Aspie kids do when they withdraw from society. But when she accepts HOPE back into her heart, the rest of the world opens up to her.
They are waiting to enfold her in all of the understanding she has thirsted for so long.

WE MUST GIVE THEM HOPE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment