09 September 2011

"Are You My Mother?"

Recently, I was discussing with my middle Aspie son the need to respect his teachers. We spoke about how they are like his parents when he is at school. I continued on in this vain...reviewing the 10 Commandments. Even further, I went on to allude to the idea that when he shows disrespect to his teachers by not doing what he is told or by saying something rude, he is breaking the Commandment, "Honor your father and your mother".  His face immediately showed shock, confusion, and (to some extent) horror. Oh no....what did I do?
Little did I know, that earlier in the week, while at a church service with his class, his teacher asked him if he wanted to sit next to her. He said yes and snuggled down close, as he tends to do. A few people came by asking if they could sit next to her and she stated, "No....I am saving this place for my son." (Of course, the seat in question was on the other side of her.) Her son was delayed and my son's confusion deepened with ever person requesting the seat. Finally, he leaned over to her and sheepishly said, "Mrs. B.....I thought maybe I should tell you that.... I am not your son." She said he was so sweet about it.

But that instance.....followed by our 10 Commandment "Honor your Parents/Teacher" conversation....
NO WONDER HE WAS GETTING CONFUSED!
All I kept thinking about was the P. B. Eastman book ARE YOU MY MOTHER.
His little face greatly resembled the face of that lost little bird......
bittersweet mommy moment....

No comments:

Post a Comment