24 October 2010

Stimming

I have noticed something about stimming (the repetitive movements that some Aspie and Autistic children do). It usually happens at a time of great stress. Listening to NPR once, I heard a Neuro-Psychologist say that these kids "stim" because they have too much information in their brains and their brains can not create synapses fast enough to keep up. The result is an over-abundance of energy looking for a way to be expressed. Now, I know from personal experience that this can happen when they are scared, stressed, overwhelmed, not understood, etc. But, I was thinking that some times one could get a glimpse into their talents and interests. If a child stims when they are happy or excited, maybe they are simply trying to tell us that they want to learn more....meaning we should not take the experience away from them simply because we "don't want them to stem." We are the one's with a problem (i.e. fatigue, embarrassment, etc.) caused by the stimming....they are just expressing themselves.....which is what we want....isn't it? What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I think you make a great point. I am no autism expert but have done some advocacy work for several Aspies who were twice exceptional gifted/autistic. My thought would be how to help them express their needs and desires in such a way that focuses the brain and calms the hyper stimulation. Without the calming the situation will remain overwhelming. I guess my question would be how to lessen the overwhelming qualities of the environment without quelling the desire to communicate or follow a desire.

    As I said, just my thoughts and certainly not expert opinion on the matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome input! Thanks! I agree that it is a trial to allow the interest to continue, yet in a more controled environment.

    ReplyDelete