14 September 2013

A Square Peg in a Round Hole (Revisited)

As you can probably tell, I have had a lot of trouble as of late. Stress is overpowering me to the point of distraction. I NEED to pull myself out of it and again FIND MY POSITIVE FOCUS. To that end, I have decided to repost a series of past articles this week. These articles are much more positive and much more ME. Maybe by searching through these past articles, I will remind myself of what I CHOOSE to be true in our lives with Aspie kids. There will always be trouble, but I want to find my way back to a path that focuses on the GIFTS rather then the CHALLENGES.

If you did not get to read them the first time or you would like to re-read them, I hope you enjoy the uplifting nature of these entries. The first one is below. This post was written 2 years ago when our oldest Aspie son participated in the local university's HIGH SCHOOL BAND INVITATIONAL. He participated again last year and will participate tonight for the 3rd year in a row.

A SQUARE PEG IN A ROUND HOLE (3 October 2011)
I have often wondered HOW and WHEN my Aspie sons will fit in. I know that there MUST be a place for them! I was gifted with a small glimpse of HOW and WHEN my eldest Aspie son will find his place. Strangely enough...this gift came from my father who passed away 19 years ago.
Let me explain...

We live in a mid-sized city that boasts a State University that happens to have one of the finest music departments, not only in the state...but in the country. This is TRUE...even though I am also partial to this music department. You see...my father started the music department at this university over 70 years ago. (As you have guessed, I am the product of older parents...) He was a wonderful man! My father had 5 degrees over 3 different disciplines (Music, English & Science), could build anything, loved fishing and figuring things out. Above all he loved God, he loved his children and he loved knowledge.  I remember I once asked him a simple question about acoustics.......
we ended up BUILDING A CELLO!!!
I was only in the 4th grade!!!!!

Neither my husband nor my children had the honor of knowing my father.....
for that I am most regretful...

But last weekend, our oldest son participated in that same university band's HIGH SCHOOL INVITATIONAL.......when kids from area high schools spend the day working with the marching band and perform with them during half-time.
I cried.....with pride....with sorrow...with joy.
Here was MY SON marching in the same band that MY FATHER had started over 70 years ago.
The same band in which my husband and my brother also marched!
And what happened???
Did he have a meltdown...did he forget which way to go....did he keep to himself so that no one would know he was there...did he overpower every conversation....NO.
This square peg finally fit in a round hole!  To look at the pictures, one would NEVER SUSPECT that he is an Aspie kid! (Pictures are posted on the Pictures page.)

Thanks Dad!
By establishing this music department, setting it up the way you did...with care and concern for every student and all music....
you gave a home to your grandson....
and peace to your daughter.
He will be ok.....

No comments:

Post a Comment